A Laissez-passer is an official travel document issued by the Ethiopian Embassy to Ethiopian citizens needing to travel to Ethiopia urgently, in the event that their passport or travel document has been lost or stolen.
Please note that this document can only be used once to go back to Ethiopia. This is a temporary document.
Applications must be made in person at the Embassy.
To apply for a Laissez-passer travel document, please read the all information in this page carefully.
Download and complete the application form ~Download Pdf
Completing the Application Form
Complete the application form for each person travelling to Ethiopia.
The form must be completed in BLOCK CAPITAL letters in either blue or black ink.
• Complete the form to the best of your ability, answering all the required questions clearly. Your application may not be processed if you fail to provide all necessary information
• Sign and date the form, where asked
If you have any questions concerning your application, please contact the consular section.
Gather the required documents
A formal application letter: A formal application letter detailing the reason for your application.
Documents certifying your citizenship: Documents allowed are ID Cards, Birth Certificates, Copy of your Passport, etc.
Two recent, passport-sized colour photographs:
• The photograph should be full face without sunglasses, hat or other head covering unless for ethnic or religious reasons.
• The photo should be attached to the application form by paper clip or another non-permanent means. DO NOT staple the photographs to the application form.
• Please write your name on the back of the photograph in BLOCK CAPITAL letters.
• Please note that we may not accept photographs that do not meet these specifications.
The application fee